Today
I ate my first Glutinous Rice Ball. It’s a - well, it’s a ball – of fried dough
surrounding pounded sweet rice and red bean paste. My word. All I know is, in heaven,
(the one I’m going to, anyway) they just sit around eating Glutinous Rice Balls
and watching Ellen. And that episode of Lost where Hurley drives the blue
Volkswagon bus blaring Three Dog Night from an eight track player.
So I’ve
recovered from my massage, and I feel more amazing than I ever have in my life. Inside and
out. Didn't I tell you about that? Oh my goodness. It’s this whole thing…
I
still don’t understand it, but I seem to be scared to take trips by myself. I
find myself in my room before I leave, procrastinating by trying to understand
the map, or decide what to wear, or what to pack. Since I’d been to the spa
before, I knew that this time I should bring some toiletries, like shampoo and
face wash. Once I get ready and going, the scariness goes away, and I was
excited this time, because I knew how to do this: where to go, what to bring,
how much it would cost, and what I would find.
![]() |
| Part of the trek down the hill to get to the food, the bus, or the station. |
![]() |
| The station at Onyang Oncheon - the train is just leaving. |

I
took myself by subway to Onyang Oncheon, and from there to the Paradise Hot
Springs Spa. I stopped on the way to get chestnuts, and the old man selling
them was so cranky! I have no idea what I was doing wrong, but he wasn’t going
to sell them to me. I was doing exactly the same thing I had last time, I’m
sure of it, but it wasn’t getting me anywhere. His wife ran over from chatting
with the neighboring vendor and made him give me some, but that made him
madder. He ended up taking my money, putting about four chestnuts in a bag, and tossing them at me. I
thanked them both and bowed, and was more determined than ever to figure out this
dang language. It’s so frustrating to constantly feel like I don’t know what’s
going on! I might as well have been in class…
![]() |
| The view to the right as you exit the station in Onyang. |
Anyhow,
I made it to the spa, got my key and its wristband, got my locker and ordered
my massage – all in Korean, thank you very much! I went to the bathroom to take
my makeup off, and apparently that was a mistake. I’ve thought it over for
several days, and I think I know what happened. I was supposed to walk straight
from the front desk to the massage lady, but I didn’t know that, see, because
last time, when I inquired about massages, there was a forty minute wait. This
time I figured I would shower and soak while I waited for my time slot to come
up.
So in the middle of my face washing an angry old woman, back as straight as
a ramrod, more clothed than I (she got to have on the better half of a two
piece swim suit), marched in and demanded to know if I was the one getting the
massage. (I don’t know exactly what she said, but I got the point.) She scared
me so badly I forgot all my Korean for the rest of the night. I stuttered and
stammered, and ended up just running after her as she speed-walked through the
double doors, around the corner, and into the secret, sacred massage corner,
which is blocked off from the hot springs by low rock walls.
There
are several massage tables in a row, specially made for this situation. They
have vinyl covers and neck pillows, and are very low to the ground, compared to
normal ones. The floor is made of the kind of cement that has whole pebbles in it, and
the air is hot and steamy. Everything is wet and dripping. She took a basin,
dipped it in a barrel of water, and threw it on me, surprising me to the core.
She then threw some water on the table for good measure, and gestured for me to
lie down. I assumed I would be face down, and I was wrong. She gave me a good
hard slap on the butt, once I got situated, and between that and other good
communicating, I understood I was to be face up.
Awkward.
Not only was she mad (for
reasons I couldn’t fathom at the time) and strong, but I was naked, and her underwear
was missing one of the two pieces. (I was afraid to close my eyes though, for
fear of another missed cue and a slap.)
With
no further ado, she started at my feet and gave me a lightning fast, whole body
scrub. I really didn’t have time to protest. I could only stare at the ceiling
and pray that I wouldn’t bleed through my pores. Another slap, and I turned
over, which was treacherous business, given the wet vinyl. After scrubbing that
side she whacked me again and sent me out of the massage area. I went and sat
down in a hot pool, which stung because of the scrubbing, and did some
thinking.
I
had just paid about thirty dollars to be yelled at, scared half to death, drenched,
and scrubbed like a black kettle. This was not my idea of a massage. Mentally,
I ran through my Korean vocabulary to try and compose my protest, but in the
end, I decided I would deliver the whole thing in English, complete with cuss
words and yelling. That would teach them. And the chestnut guy.
About
that time, the masseuse came over and tapped me lightly on the shoulder and smiled,
motioning me back to the massage parlor. I was a little wary, and expecting to be sent away again at any moment. It reminded me of the bus driver in Suwon, who was just trying to point things out and I kept thinking he was telling me to get off.
I paid close attention to her every move though, this
time, trying to determine what I was supposed to do, and we began to be able to
communicate. She was able to see that I was trying, I wasn’t stupid and was able to be taught. I was able to see that she was very skilled, very kind, and just unused to
dealing with foreigners.
Sigh.
I wish there were words I could write that would deliver to you what the next
hour plus felt like to me. She washed my hair and massaged my head. This was a
bit rough on me, at first, because I didn’t understand what was going on. She
was using a technique where she lifted up different body parts and dropped
them. I'm not used to people doing that with heads. I thought at first that she was still upset, or careless, but I realized,
after paying attention both to her and how it felt, that she was doing
something. I could feel the buzzing you get when your chi has been blocked and
starts flowing. Her fingers were like machine gun fire – she would pick up my
head, feel the back of my neck in two places, drop my head, be at my feet,
press specific points all along my body, and be back at my head before I could
count to three. She was checking something on the back of my neck, and it wasn’t
ready. She put some kind of lotion on it that smelled like peppermint and
burned a bit, but it wasn’t unpleasant. Apparently, she needed to let that do
some work before it could be massaged.
There
were many steps to what she did, with many scrubs, lotions and oils. I
recognized some of the scents, like ginger and peppermint, but others were
completely foreign to me. They smelled so good, and it was so strange not to be
able to even guess what they were. She scrubbed me in earnest this time, and
didn’t miss a square centimeter. She soaped me up and rinsed me off. I was on
my back, stomach, sides, sitting up, lying down, arms out, arms in. I was
pounded, beaten, scrubbed, and slapped until I am but a vestige of my former
self. At one point she climbed on top of me – me who was precariously perched
on slippery, oily, vinyl! – and walked up and down my entire body.
At
last the places on my neck that she kept checking were satisfactory, and she
massaged my shoulders until you would never know that I have been walking up
and down stairs with a backpack non-stop since I left home.
She gave me a face massage and mask, a hot towel treatment, pumice stone on my feet, until I was practically purring. That I liked it all so much made her happy, I could tell. She was very warm with me by the time I left, leading me to wonder if I'd passed some kind of Korean strength test.
Her
looks would have deceived you, but, circumstances being what they are, I can’t
elaborate. Just listen to me - in order to avoid tangling with secret ninja masters,
simply follow this rule of thumb I’ve recently written:
Whenever you meet an
elderly Korean woman, or are just near one, or know someone who has seen one,
all parties involved should bow deeply and give her whatever she wants. Even if
it is to agree that you’ve sat on top of her and stolen her seat, or to let her communicate by slapping you on the ass.



LOL ok so as long as you took notes on delivery. :P
ReplyDeleteGotta write a book hon.
Awesome.
HA.... this was awesome. Man I can't believe all the stuff your doing!! I can relate to the lack of communication. I was in India for 10 days and talk about feeling weird. Everything that you know well... its almost useless.
ReplyDeleteAny ways... Loving your Blogs keep them coming!!!
~Alex
Grace Pauline!!!! You are going to be soo healthy when you finish your first quarter there! You're going to be addicted to such massages and beatings up -- so I hope you can locate similar therapies wherever you are in the world. Good food, bood body treatments, excellent stair exercises, fabulous mental exercises and feeling good about your language achievements. Getting braver than ever... I could go on and on about the goodnesses of it all.
ReplyDeleteI KNOW you're balancing your family relationships all the while and are moving forward in life together.
I'm glowing for you.
I hope you get to discover what the unidentifiable aromas were from. Love you. -Donna
ReplyDeleteOH my goodness! I am never prepared for these blogs. At first I was thinking I know the feeling where people are rude to you and you can't even tell them off properly because you aren't fluent. France- enough said. But then whoa! Spanked? Scoured? then soothed? Maybe its some kind of hazing so you can fully appreciate the relaxation. I was all prepared to cry for you but then it had a happy ending; I'm so glad it worked out! Wow. These adventures are priceless.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE glutinous rice balls! My friend from Taiwan introduced me to them when I visited her there a few years ago and I've been in love with them ever since. I will definitely be sitting around with you in heaven one day eating them :)
ReplyDelete